Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Good Man


The mother of two little girls who are both under the age of seven, I already think about their wedding days -- all moms do, I think. And I'd like to state for the record that their father and I agree: if you don't want a big, traditional wedding and want a nice, inexpensive elopement, we're fine with that. We'd just like to be invited.

Eleven years ago today, I married my college sweetheart in a big traditional wedding: white dress, church, roses, champagne, cake cutting -- the whole princess package. I was just days away from turning 22. When I look at our wedding pictures, I first think, "Wow, I was skinny," and secondly, "Wow, we were young!"

My friends have heard me say this a lot before. I don't know how in the world I had the wisdom to choose this man; I was only 18 when I met him! I thank God for it. And I pray my girls will also get to marry a man that has brought them the same sense of safety and happiness that my husband has brought me. In case they want to read this someday: here are my top four favorite things about my husband, and qualities I hope they'll find in theirs.

1. Integrity. I can trust him. He's not going to lose his temper or slack off at work, cheat on our taxes, spend money we don't have, be unfaithful to me or generally do something that's going to jeopardize the health and safety of our family.

2. He's so stinking funny. We fall asleep laughing several nights a week. He keeps the girls in stitches. And he's the first person that taught me to laugh at myself.

3. He gives me the space and support to find fulfillment in my life, both inside and outside our home. If I have a ministry that I feel called to, he's the first to say, "Go for it!" He will watch the kids, offer me sound advice, and anything else it takes to make that happen. (He will even let me blog about him, though he is a much more private person than I am.) I hope I do the same for him.

4. He is still a hottie.

So happy anniversary to my sweetie. I hope our daughters pick a good man like you.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the day with pleasure. You were both young but you were the perfect couple because God brought you together and He has kept you together serving Him and being the caretakers of two beautiful girls.
    Congrats, Jeff & Amanda, on your 11th Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete